Sunday, October 28, 2007

Laundry and creating a blog at the same time...

is an effective way to get things done for the upcoming week ahead. This is new to me, so be a bit patient. But I would appreciate feedback if you have any . The following are some samples of some vis dev work I have done in the past. I have been working in Vis Dev for about 2 years now- it's a bit different than my other background which is layout.




•Paintings•




•Matte Paintings• "Elf"- (New Line Cinema)

Here are some samples of my work in matte painting. I LOVED matte painting because it was so similar to my background in animation. The only difference is, you work with 'preshot plates' instead of composing/designing/camera work/writing the x-sheet out yourself and then handing it over to the animator. Also- the other difference is that matte painting for live action films is very desaturated in color- meaning alot of grey- no 'bright' colors. Animation- as seen above- is very saturated- because your target audience is kids- so, happy, fun, graphic and obnoxiously bright colors are normally used.





•My First 'Matte' Painting ever•



Well, as I was getting ready to leave my post at Disney in 2001- I sat down at the community computer on the 3rd floor and learned photoshop. An old ACCD classmate of mine convinced me that there was a brighter world out there and that with my background in Layout, it would be a natural transition over into matte painting. This lovely day to night shot- was done at 600dpi (because I didn't know what I was doing) and it's fairly successful- yet lacks the sublties of a true matte shot. Any good compositer will tell you that it needs reflections in the stream- and just small nuances that make it shine. Still- not bad- except it took me six weeks to do it, and in the real world, you are lucky to have just one week to complete a painting like this. FYI, most matte paintings are done at 72 dpi- and at 2K,4K or 6K, depending on how close the camera will get to the painting. Now with the HD- the logistics are a bit different-but the general rule of thumb is that if they tell you they want a 2K matte- to be safe, paint it at double the size (4K).

this was the second one that I did..... and I would comment on this one also- but I think that is not necessary at this point.




•Tileable SkyBox Matte Paintings• for EA games•

The following 2 paintings are for one of the James Bond games that I worked on. Below each picture is a diagram of how the skybox within an environment is put together regarding texture tiles. Personally- I thought this process was facinating. Each square was no bigger than 512Ksq., in the Fort Knox painting you only have 2 'hero' tiles (master tiles- only used once) and the rest are interchangable with each other. The Vegas painting is a bit different- because ALL the bottom tiles are 'hero' tiles because that skyline is so distinctive that one needs have your painting budget there- so the rest of the sky was a simple gradient that was interchangable with each other.






•Television Background Painting•

Remember me talking about those bright, obnoxious colors? Well- that is the hallmark of television animation. I worked on a warner brother's cartoon called 'Coconut Fred's Fruit Salad Island'- and had a blast. I think that I averaged 7 paintings per week- where you paint the 'keys' and the overseas studios paints up the rest of the bg's based on your 'keys' so that the sequence has a consistant look to it.









•Environment Design•

I had the good fortune to work with Sam Michlap and Dan St. Pierre again on a recent film- I designed one area of the world- and I did that by building a rough maya model, taking screen shots of the camera angles that I wanted, and then painted in black/white over it. I had planned to paint these all up in color- but the production got canceled midstream. So, now I have some lovely black and white story moments and location designs- which is fine. For the moment that is.....













•Tarzan• Master Bedroom Interior• Set Design



It took me 3 months to design this shot, partly because the look of the film had not been established yet. The directors wanted a more moody, darker and mysterious feel to the jungle area and they felt that this tonal of the treehouse interior really hit the mark. They wanted the humans to feel a bit unsettled in their new environment, and I used items that would have washed ashore from the shipwreck and boat paraphanellia coupled with jungle to resolve the issue. I gleaned from my extensive backpacking experience when I was younger on "what you want verses what you need" when out in the boonies..... needless to say, I refuse to backpack anymore. Unless of course, there is a five star hotel at the end of the trail waiting for me.


•Misc Stuff•
So, I'll go ahead on a nightly basis and keep uploading my work from the 'archives'- I have ALOT on hand...


59 Comments:

Blogger alien said...

Nice sketches!!

9:55 PM PDT  
Blogger Saskia said...

I´m pretty breathless *_* Awsome work !!!

12:47 AM PDT  
Blogger Gregor said...

your paintings are amaizing, great cartoon style!

7:43 AM PDT  
Blogger Jonathan said...

awesome stuff! It would be grand if you had what it was from, about, etc :-) looking forward to more stuff

7:59 AM PDT  
Blogger Pam said...

your paintings are beautiful!! a m argentinian, i m very bad with english but i can told you your work is really great!

8:11 AM PDT  
Blogger Bill Robinson said...

Beautiful work! I'd love to hear about you "relearned" how to paint. (I'm just trying to learn the first time...)

8:42 AM PDT  
Blogger Cal said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!
so many variety
Welcome to the blog world.

8:49 AM PDT  
Blogger Nathan Lindsay said...

incredible paintings. your colors are beautiful. wow.

9:51 AM PDT  
Blogger SteveLambe said...

Incredibly inspiring work, Denise!!

9:53 AM PDT  
Blogger Mark McDonnell said...

Incredible, incredible work. Great diversity in style, shape, and mood. Beatutiful work,

MAC

10:10 AM PDT  
Blogger Dave Dick said...

Wonderful work! Thanks fo sharing and I can't wait to see more!

10:24 AM PDT  
Blogger willipino said...

beautiful work! i can't wait to see more.

10:33 AM PDT  
Blogger Ricardo Guimaraes said...

Fantastic! Awesome! Superb! Great! Amazing! And all the other good adjectives! Loved your blog! Thanks for sharing!!

3:53 PM PDT  
Blogger Adam Kaszycki said...

these are quite breathtaking and beautifully designed. perhaps one day you might share some composition tips and other design tips for us aspiring artists

4:07 PM PDT  
Blogger Nikki Lukas Longfish said...

thanks for posting these awesome pieces! I love the range you have here. background paintings and matte paintings. I can't wait to see more.

4:27 PM PDT  
Blogger Billy George said...

Yikes! Thats some really awesome work Denise. I havent seen any of your stuff in years and its really blowing me away.

Hope all is going well.

6:42 PM PDT  
Blogger Erik D. Martin said...

Oh man to much good stuff all at once!! ack! really fantastic work!

6:54 PM PDT  
Blogger Jeff Fuller said...

Your talent has always amazed and impressed me Denise.

Thanks for sharing these online.

9:16 PM PDT  
Blogger V said...

thats some brilliant work...totally floored!:)...waitin to see more work...consider me a regular:)

8:25 AM PDT  
Blogger Teddy said...

Working on "Elf" with you was a classic moment in my career. 80 hour work weeks painting *clouds* over and over... and over... and over...

Really great stuff up there Denise. Were the ones on top for DIG?

8:39 AM PDT  
Blogger Paintopolis said...

Really beautiful work Denise! Nice variety viz dev stuff really sharp! James-
My blog http://jamesmartinstudio.blogspot.com/

10:34 AM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful Denise. It is so hard for me to imagine that someone can actually create these things. Me being a stick figure drawer myself and then I sometimes wonder if people know what it is.
Linda

1:21 PM PDT  
Blogger Rodney Fuentebella said...

woah!!!!!!!! Man you do everything sooooo well... love your sketches, designing, color, shapes... you're my newest idol!

3:01 PM PDT  
Blogger Ken said...

WOW.

Thats one heck of a post. And its all stunning artwork

4:30 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful work Denise!

2:40 AM PDT  
Blogger A. Riabovitchev said...

Fantastic work!

5:12 AM PDT  
Blogger bog_art said...

What amazing blog!!.. I love the way how you use the color in your compositions!! congratulations!!

4:02 PM PDT  
Blogger Howard Shum said...

WOW! Brilliant work!

11:22 PM PDT  
Blogger Martin Wittig said...

Awesome Work! I cant wait to see more:)

4:50 PM PDT  
Blogger Joshua Middleton said...

Absolutely brilliant work. Thank you so much for starting the blog and sharing your art with us.

Joshua

6:22 PM PDT  
Blogger Tobias Schwarz said...

great work, love the series with the wolves alot

7:44 PM PDT  
Blogger NICOLAS P. VILLARREAL said...

Beatiful work. I love your quick studies and the Tarzan piece. ill be looking forward for more amazing stuff!!

Salud!!

3:53 AM PST  
Blogger Jörn said...

Just say: WOW!!!

4:43 AM PST  
Blogger Gillian said...

you... are brilliant!!!!

5:16 PM PST  
Blogger Jampix said...

Hi Denise, I don't think I can say anything more then what is already said in in the previous comments.
Apart from thnks for sharing these brilliant pieces of art work!

I'm looking forward seeing more.

I had to link you to my blog... hope it's ok

3:38 PM PST  
Blogger Marco Bucci said...

Well it's already all been said here, but this is beautiful full. I'd been geeking out over your Tarzan Bedroom design ever since I saw it years ago in the Art of Tarzan book. Thank you for the inspiration!

8:19 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are incredible...don't need
other word for your talent and sensitivity
Luca(1 little designer)

4:27 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love it......Keep up the great work!

6:07 PM PST  
Blogger Brandon Waltman said...

these are all really beautiful. your style is pretty saweet.

10:06 AM PST  
Blogger Marcos Mateu said...

Great stuff. the black and white pieces for the 'sheep' movie are incredible! what a feel for atmosphere and location

7:18 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

People should read this.

11:54 PM PST  
Blogger anima-base said...

Wow. you're great man.
I love your fantastic artwork

12:57 AM PST  
Blogger Rafael said...

Hi Denise!
I am a huge fan .
Your work is unbelievable, were those concepts for SHEEPISH?

11:53 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!!! Your work is fabulous. I remember when you were drawing models from magazines at my house when we were young kids. I hope you remember me. Haven't seen you in a long time. From Rayna Hallsted Nichols

9:36 PM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
Very nice and intrestingss story.

5:44 PM PDT  
Anonymous Kyle said...

Not sure if you'll see this anytime soon, but could I get your permission to post some of your GoldenEye Rogue Agent work on my webpage? Your development work is fascinating.

Please email me at:
treblayevrah(AT)hotmail.com.

Thank you.

8:51 AM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

oakley outlet
cheap ray ban sunglasses
fitflops
fitflops sale
fitflops sandals
fitflop shoes
fitflop sandals
fitflop sale
fitflops on sale
fitflop outlet
Canada Goose Sale
Canada Goose Outlet
Moncler Jackets
Moncler Outlet
Moncler Sale
Canada Goose Jacket
Ugg Outlet
Ugg Boots

2:21 AM PST  
Blogger http://ustaad4all.blogspot.com/ said...

Thank you for a wonderful checklist. Really appreciate the hard work you have done for this. Was wonderfully helpful
Dry cleaner laundry Service near me

2:41 AM PST  
Anonymous Cara Menyembuhkan Nyeri Punggung said...


This information is very useful. thank you for sharing. and I will also share information about health through the website
Pengobatan Alami untuk Tipes
Cara Mengobati Kuku Cantengan
Solusi atasi sakit kepala Vertigo
Cara Menyembuhkan Sakit Maag Kronis
Cara Menghilangkan Stretch mark
Cara Mengobati Epilepsi

11:05 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

qzz0613
fossil watches
thunder jerseys
mulberry handbags
kevin durant shoes
ugg boots
nike roshe one
air more uptempo
heat jerseys
michael kors handbags
celtics jerseys

8:47 PM PDT  
Blogger fa said...

Great Post. Keep sharing more!!
Dry Cleaners near me

7:35 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for this amazing post
master dry cleaner

1:45 PM PDT  
Blogger zzyytt said...

links of london outlet store
yeezy boost 350
nike sneakers for women
bape hoodie
chrome hearts
links of london
coach outlet sale
jordans
kobe 11
adidas ultra boost uncaged

1:01 AM PDT  
Blogger seocom said...

سباك بالمدينة المنورة
سباك بالمدينة المنورة واحدة من أهم الكوادر العاملة بشركة الخدمات المنزلية والذي لا يستغنى عنه العديد من مواطنين المدينة والمملكة السعودية، فالشركة توفر له كل الوسائل التي تساعده في إنجام أعمال السباكة والذي يحتاج إليها العميل.

6:55 AM PST  
Anonymous Cara Mengobati Benjolan Di Vagina said...


Thank you for joining us. his article is very helpful

Pengobatan Alami Penyakit vertigo
Obat Maag Alami
Obat Penambah Berat Badan
Cara Mengobati Penyakit Kista
Cara Mengobati Sesak Napas Alami
Tips Obat Tradisional Gagal Jantung

6:58 PM PST  
Anonymous Cara Mengobati Kaki Gajah said...


Thank you very helpful article. allow me to join to share health articles with your article hopefully useful.

Obat Keloid Terampuh
Obat Kaki Bengkak Alami
Obat Herbal Untuk Penyakit Kolera
Cara Cepat Untuk Menghilangkan Panu
Cara Menghaluskan Wajah
Cara Mengobati Tumor Otak

7:12 PM PST  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

jordan 6
fila shoes
kobe 11
balenciaga
michael kors
louboutin outlet
golden goose
nike vapormax
cheap jordans
yeezy boost

1:29 AM PDT  
Blogger خدمات منزلية said...


شركة عزل اسطح
شركة مكافحة حشرات
شركة انشاء مسابح
شركة تسليك مجاري

12:41 AM PST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

off white t shirt
kyrie 9
supreme clothing
off white outlet
curry shoes
off white hoodie
ggdb
supreme clothing
fear of god outlet
off white outlet

12:02 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home